Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I love making oatmeal cookies, especially when I am craving a cookie with my cup of coffee, but want a healthier treat with more texture. I was introduced to a wonderful recipe for oatmeal cookies by my good friend Amy while studying abroad in Israel. We would whip up a batch almost every week, especially when the weather became chilly. I recently found a healthier version that I tweaked a bit. This recipe makes a more cake-like version of oatmeal cookies, or as my boyfriend Ben calls them, "muffin top cookies".  I recommend using either recipe for study groups or work potlucks. I guarantee your kitchen will smell wonderful


Traditional Oatmeal Choc. Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup vegetable shortening or margarine or oil
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
¼ cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups quaker oats
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp. baking soda
½ bag of chocolate chips


Directions:
(Preheat oven to 350 Degrees)
1. Mix brown sugar with white sugar and shortening
2. In separate bowl add egg, water, vanilla, and beat well
3. In separate bowl add oats, flour, salt, baking soda
4. Mix all ingredients together and add chocolate chips
5. Spoon mixture onto a greased baking sheet
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden


"Muffin Top" Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients:
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup splenda brown sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup rolled oats
½ cup applesauce
1/3 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chocolate chips
dash nutmeg
dash cinnamon


Directions:
(Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees)
1. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon
2. Add the oats, applesauce, soy milk, canola oil, and vanilla extract
3. Stir well, then add in the chocolate chips
4. Spoon batter onto a  baking sheet
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes
* I love to substitute applesauce for butter. It really adds moisture and natural sweetness to any baked good.


xx,
Penelope Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment