Sunday, October 6, 2013

Chocolate Walnut Biscotti with White Chocolate Chips


Today was the perfect balance of laziness and productivity. We cleaned out our second closet and it looks so organized now. We have been shoving things in there since before the wedding, and everytime I opened the door something fell on my head. Those of you who know me know that untidy closets do NOT sit well with me. Neither do dry cleaner wire hangers. UGH. We threw out two trash bags full today.

 Clean closet. Beautifully functional slimline hangers. Life balance restored.

I also ran errands and am now watching a very cheesy hallmark movie with Jennie Garth in it, and delighting in (and dunking) the very chocolatey biscotti I made this afternoon. I adapted the recipe from Veganomicon, and added a few of my own twists :) I used whole wheat flour to convince myself that yes, these are healthy. I also added white chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. The bittersweet cocoa and creamy melted white chocolate make the perfect pair. These are definitely a biscotti for the chocolate lover!


Chocolate Walnut Biscotti with White Chocolate Chips

Ingredients:
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup white chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees an lightly grease a large cookie sheet
2. In a large bowl, whisk together almond milk and flaxseeds, mixing for 30 seconds
3. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, corn starch, baking powder, and salt
4. Stir to mix, and just as the dough comes together, add the nuts and chocolate chips
5. Knead to form a stiff dough, then form the dough into a rectangle about 12 inches long and 3 inches wide on the baking sheet
6. Bake for 28 minutes
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes
8. Turn up oven heat to 375 degrees. Transfer the baked dough onto a cutting board. Slice 1/2 inch thick slices using a heavy, sharp knife. Do this is one push down motion so the dough doesn't crumble.
9. Put the slices on the cookie sheet cut side down. Be very careful when you do this, as they will crumble! Bake for 12-15 minutes
10. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to cooling rack


We are going to take the dogs for a long (and much needed) walk, and then I'm going to get ready for the week! We are going to LA next weekend and I am SO excited I am counting down the days. Until tomorrow...

xx,
Pretty Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment