Thursday, March 10, 2011

Delish Dish: Crispy Rice With Spicy Tuna

 I know I am a self-proclaimed foodie, but I have one confession to make about my "foodie" status: I refuse to eat raw fish. I have been called a faux-sushi lover, eating only vegetarian sushi, or that ever elusive teriyaki chicken sushi found once in a blue moon. Ben on the other hand, LOVES to eat raw fish, and can consume a plate of sashimi before I even think about ordering my Edamame. And so, I have comfortably stuck with my routine of ordering my usual veggie tempura roll; that is, until I met Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna at Katsuya in Brentwood.

Katsuya is a trendy LA restaurant that literally glows when you walk in the door. You have to wait despite making a reservation weeks before, and the decor is white with a modern edge. Enlarged contemporary photographs line the walls, and soft white candles give the room an angelic feel. Everything about this restaurant is exquisite: the people are beautiful, the staff is beautiful, and even the food, is beautiful.

This includes the Crispy Rice and Spicy Tuna. A starter dish, the tuna is served on small rectangular rice cakes that have a delectable crispy exterior. The tuna is finely chopped, and despite its name, is actually mildly spicy. The texture and flavor of the tuna is actually what converted me to the "dark side" because it was not dense and slimy like other kinds of fish. For those of you who do enjoy a little kick to your dish, you will be glad to know that each cake comes topped with sliced Jalapeno. The green Jalapeno contrasts nicely with the bright red tuna, and you really feel as though you are eating a piece of art.

xx,
Penelope Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment