Friday, September 13, 2013

Bridal Shower Tea

I have something very pretty to share with you all...

This past April I was lucky enough to have two amazing bridal showers, one here in Denver, and one in San Diego. The latter was a tea-themed shower put together for me by my mom, my auntie Denise, my cousin Myrice, and Marlene (my best friend Giuliette's mom).

The shower was held at Claudia's Tea House, a charming and elegant tea room located in a private home in Del Mar, California. Claudia not only has a tea room and little gift shop, but has also created a life-sized doll house on her property as well. Claudia has fulfilled every little girl's dream, including mine, and it was so fun to celebrate my bridal shower here.


The room was decorated with pinks and florals, and a shabby chic banner that read "Penny & Ben"


Our engagement pictures were placed around the room in frames. It felt like my dream shabby chic dollhouse. There is even a little room for dress up, filled with big hats and feather boas.


Claudia printed an excerpt from my blog and placed a copy on each place setting. I was so excited to see Pretty Penny featured at my shower.


Claudia served delectable tea sandwiches and scones with jam and cream. There was plenty of tea, of course :)





Can you guys you believe this cake!!?? Cucpakes, rosette, and little monogrammed toppers--my life is complete. Did I mention this perfect treat was a carrot cake with pink cream cheese frosting? These women know the way to my heart.


Too pretty to eat, but too good not to!


Mama Bear and I. She is the true tea-drinker. No coffee for her, just black tea with lot's of milk. And maybe a square of chocolate with nuts :) I am so definitely her daughter.


There was also had a scrapbook station, where guests were able decorate a page. I used to love scrapbooking when I was younger. I feel like this blog is my grown-up version of a life scrapbook.


My sister, dad, and I. He came to visit right at the end. I'm holding flowers that Ben brought for me. He brought some for Mom too.


My groom and his wonderful parents. I am so lucky to have the best in-laws. Seriously, I actually LOVE them! And Ben is a carbon copy of his Dad. Crazy!


 We gave out little measuring spoons as favors.


I love the detailed labels. Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE a pretty label. 
Or any label really :)


The bride and groom.



Thank you mommy, Denise, Myrice, and Marlene for throwing me the most memorable shower a princess could ask for. I will never forget the sweet scones with jam, the fragrant tea, and the immense love in the room. What a special day.

xo,
Pretty Penny



1 comment:

  1. It was such a gorgeous day..and penny was glowing!!

    Seeing as though the theme was a tea I have to share my fave traditional english scone recipe to be served with jam and cream:


    Cream

    4 ounces mascarpone
    1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 or 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
    Zest of lemon or lime (optional)

    Cream Scone Recipe:
    2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
    2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup (75 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/2 cup (120 ml) milk, half-and-half, or heavy cream

    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place the rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    In a large bowl, whisk or sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender, two knives, or with your fingertips. (The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.) In a small measuring cup whisk together the milk or cream, beaten egg and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
    Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently four or five times and then pat into a 7 inch (18 cm) round. Then, using a lightly floured 2 1/2 inch (6.5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Place the rounds on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing a few inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with a little cream. (This helps to brown the tops of the scones during baking.)
    Bake for about 15 - 18 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve with Devon cream or softly whipped cream and your favorite jam. These scones are best the day they are made but can be covered and stored for a few days. They also freeze very well.
    Makes about 10 - 2 1/2 inch (6.5 cm) round scones.

    Serve hot with your favorite jam and a dollop of cream and a cup of tea.


    ReplyDelete